Homemade sourdough recipe: how to make mother yeast at home quickly and easily. Refreshments and useful tips to keep thenatural yeast do-it-yourself.
The preparation of the natural yeastorsourdough, is an ancient procedure that will allow you to prepare soft and more easily digestible doughs. For those who want to make sourdough at home or those who intend to prepare pizzas with particularly genuine and tasty flours, you can find information in my guide articleHow to make flour at home.
In recent years, homemade preparations have become very popular, now the "culinary DIY "it is practically a fashion, finally a smart fashion: it allows you to eat healthier food and rediscover ancient traditions otherwise forgotten. In addition to jams and tomato preserves, one of the most popular activities is that of bread making. Bakery owes everything to two key ingredients: flour and yeast, even better if natural!
Brewer's yeast or natural yeast:because sourdough is the best choice
The brewer's yeast it is the main ingredient of all home-made doughs, however the intake of this food tends to create digestive problems causing a strong sense of bloating. To avoid these inconveniences (without giving up homemade bread) one solution is to replace the brewer's yeast with mother yeast. Unlike the brewer's yeast, the natural yeast includes, among yeasts, several species of heterofermentative and homofermentative lactic bacteria of the genus Lactobacillus. The different colonies of bacteria offer a fermentation of organic acids and allow greater growth of the product with greater digestibility and shelf life.
If you don't know how to get the homemade yeast this is the article for you. Below you will find the homemade sourdough recipe, useful for preparing pizzas, bread, focaccia, desserts and doughs for any occasion; once tried you will not be able to do without it!
Homemade natural yeast:ingredients and necessary
- 200 grams of organic type 0 whole wheat flour.
- 100 ml of water.
- Glass jar (with screw cap).
- A knife.
- Clean tea towels.
- Transparent film for food.
Homemade natural yeast:method
- Pour the flour into a large container.
- If the water is very cold, heat it for a few minutes on a stove (low heat). The water must be lukewarm not boiling, so pay attention.
- Pour the water into the flour, a little at a time and mix everything together to obtain a soft but not sticky consistency.
- Flour the glass jar and place the resulting mixture inside.
- With a small knife make a cross incision on the dough and cover everything first with a damp cloth and then with cling film.
- Let the dough rest for at least 48 hours in a room whose temperature should not exceed 25 °.
- Once 48 hours have elapsed, it is possible to proceed with the refreshment phase of the homemade sourdough.
Refreshment of homemade sourdough
After two days of rest of the dough, it is possible to proceed with the refreshment phase of the sourdough. Refreshments are very simple. Let's see how to do it step by step.
- Weigh 200 grams of sourdough and add another 200 grams of flour and 100 ml of water. In this way it is possible to literally feed the yeast and promote the fermentation process of the sugars. Let it rest for another 2 days (not in the fridge, always in a warm place).
- Before you can use the sourdough it is necessary to carry out this procedure for at least 15 days. After this period, the so-called "criscito" should have a surface full of alveoli and take on a sour, slightly vinegary aroma.
If you want more specific details, you can consult the guide dedicated tonatural yeast refreshments: how to refresh the sourdough.
Every when refresh the sourdough?
Even if it is now ready to be used, the homemade sourdough must still be refreshed every 7/10 days.
After these refreshments, the dough should be left to rest (in theory for about 5 hours, but an hour may be enough) at room temperature (covered with a wet cloth) and then it can be used or placed in the fridge.
Consider that due to fermentation the volume of the sourdough will increase a lot and you may be forced to throw away some of the yeast. Alternatively you can use it or refresh a larger quantity (just add the same amount of flour and half the weight of warm water).
How to make sourdough at home
If you want more information on the world ofnatural yeastand on how to prepare sourdough at home, I recommend reading the book“Sourdough. Tips and tricks for everyone to get to know and use it to the fullest ".It is suitable both for those who already know how to make natural yeast at home, and for those who are just starting out. It contains a lot of information on the flours to use and even one recipe to prepare some gluten-free yeast. The book costs € 11.18 and can be purchased onAmazon with free shipping for those who decide to buy two books of their choice. The manual on the sourdough provides 10 recipes on how to use the mother yeastand advice on the flours to use;
Why use homemade sourdough
In addition to the incredible satisfaction of having created a yeast yourself at home to be used for baking processes, homemade sourdough has many advantages.
First of all the flavor: the doughs made with this type of yeast have a different, more "real" aroma. This taste is due to the acidity of the compound. But be careful, excessive acidity could spoil your dishes, so do not exceed the rising times. Homemade sourdough is much more digestible than brewer's yeast, which in some people causes that annoying sense of swelling in the intestine. In mother yeast, as previously mentioned, there is not just one type of microorganism to carry on the leavening but many different strains that help the bread (but also pizza focaccia etc) improving it in terms of goodness and digestibility.
If you liked this article you can follow me on Twitter, add me on Facebook, among the circles of G + or see my shots on Instagram, le vie dei social they are infinite! :)
You might also be interested in
- Vegetable yeast extract